Saturday, June 5, 2010

If the world is about to end

So there is a line in the John Legend song, Quickly, where he talks about needing to love the girl he just met quickly cause the doctor told him he is dying slowly.

I love that line in part because it is true for most of us, that we are dying slowly.... but also I love how he sings it.  In that song, like most of his songs, is really passionate. He says time is running low so he wants her (the girl he is singing to) to love him like the world is about to end. Can you imagine that? What would that be like? the attention, the passion, the focus, the disregard for the day-to-day and mundane... whew.... hours of pleasure??? romance? love???

So if the world is about to end, I guess I would not care about a lot of the things that take up space in my thoughts. I would be more free and at ease to enjoy the moment, to be fully focused on the man in front of me and not worrying about my chores, my errands, my budget, and my parenting. I imagine myself in beautiful surroundings with this beautiful person, uninterrupted and full of pleasure, excitement, lust.

Do you do that right now? I know I don't. Well, I might for like 5 minutes in a month or something. It seems like the shortage of time is always on my mind when it comes to many aspects of my life. If the world were about to end, my sense of time, its value and my choices about how to spend that time would shift powerfully.

If I pause a moment....let's see. It is Saturday night, in June. If the world is about to end then I do not have to think about:

1.teaching Sunday school tomorrow
2. finishing the laundry to get ready for the next week of school
3. applying the dog's monthly flea and tick medicine
4. vacuuming the first and second floors of the house
5. washing my hair and deep conditioning it
6. losing 10 more pounds
7. saving for my son's post-high school options (college? entrepreneurial start up?)
8. figuring out how to manage the mid-year performance reviews that I am about to have to start at work
9. resolving my father's estate and selling his house
10. and 20 other things

Then I guess I could be free.

Interestingly enough, it does occur to me that if the world is about to end, the distraction of wondering when, exactly, the world is ending and how it might be ending....may interfere with my beautiful, in-the-moment, passionate rendezvous I have been speculating about.

oh well. I guess I will just stay in the moment when I can and go on with my world ending much later on.


Now, if John Legend himself calls me, everyone else will see me gone with the wind as the world ends!
http://www.johnlegend.com/us/home

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the "pearls!" Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!