Friday, June 18, 2010

Alicia Keys singing about the Streets of New York

Alicia Keys sings that New York's streets "will make you feel brand new and inspire you." It is the "concrete jungle where dreams are made up There is nothing you can't do now that you are in New York."


I believe her. The music, the beats, Jay-z... all make me feel empowered and moved deep in my soul. It is the kind of song I would play very loudly on the car radio while driving on the freeway (at high speeds) with all the windows down at dusk. The kind of song that makes me feel free and hopeful with a full rich life ahead of me.


The song reminds me that life can be simple and joyful. Just show up and let life in New York move me.


Today is the last day of school for my soon-to-be-done-with-first-grade son. I feel emotional, sad that time has flown by, glad because he is doing so well.  As I listen now, to Alicia, I notice my dreams are less about me and more for him, more about his life than my own.


Don't get me wrong.... I have more to do and big dreams for myself.  But at this stage of my life, I dream of the world that my son will live in. And my focus of attention is on making the way for him to live the life he wants to live.... and making a way so that his community, his country, is as good or better than the one we have now.


I feel less of the inspiration of Alicia's Streets of New York and more of the drudgery of my work to make life all better. There are moments of inspiration. But I contrast those with the life I lived when I was twenty and most of that time was spent feeling inspired and invincible. 


"Where did it all go?" I ask the rhetorical question knowing the answer. It is all still there. I am just too serious about it all. The problems I have taken on are bigger and more complex... the consequences more severe. I am less mindful than I ought to be about the work to do to make my dreams come true. I focus more on what I have yet to do than on what I have done. I celebrate less and plan more. Oh, the adult life is a challenge. This parenting thing really can be fun and joyful but I have work to do on that front.


Maybe it is simpler yet... I am in DC not New York. Oops, better head north and have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!