Monday, June 21, 2010

My First Fatherless Father's Day

Someone at church wished me happy father's day yesterday. I smiled. She knew my father had passed. She was acknowledging him and my loss in such a warm and loving way my heart just warmed over and swelled. She said it in a way that let me know, she knew he was still with me, fathering me, even if his body was no longer here.  It was the kindest, gentlest gesture and it made my day.

I had been afraid to go to church.

It was men's day and I did not really want to have my attention on dad... I thought I would be too caught up in feelings of mourning. I thought that I would see all of the dads, hear the message about fathers, and then feel devastated at losing mine.

But then again, church is not supposed to be about me!

Welcome to Northeastern Presbyterian Church

I am Pam Jackson, Phil Jackson’s second favorite daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!