Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Rhythm of Life is a Force of Habit

I am listening to Oleta Adams who is singing about the Rhythm of Life and a line in her song says that the "rhythm of life is a force of habit."

I then think about those quotes about habits that circulate regularly:

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle (Ancient Greek Philosopher, Scientist and Physician, 384 BC-322 BC)

First we make our habits, then our habits make us.
Charles C. Noble

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
Jim Rohn (American Speaker and Author. He is famous for motivational audio programs for Business and Life. )

This may all seem a bit cliche but the question that forms in my mind is what am I in the habit of?

The basics are obvious.

I am in the habit of going to work every day, showing up on time, and doing a good job.

I am in the habit of getting my son to school and/or summer camp on time, with proper nourishment and appropriate clothing, rested and ready to be taught and to learn.

So it could be said this behavior comes from thoughts of mine that I value education and care about having a good work ethic.

So now what?

What destiny do I enjoy because I have habits of being dedicated, timely, and dutiful which lead me to be of strong character. Am I a good person now? and thus was not one before?

Am I destined for greatness because I get my child to school on time every day? Maybe he is destined for greatness because his school record is spotless.... what about me? where is the Parent's Place? Who has the Oscar/Emmy Awards for Best Parent?

We could have the Gimme' (short for Give me) Awards for Parenting!!

We could have Best male and female parent awards for starring in a high drama of the elementary school children!

How about the Best Parent in supporting role of nag and nuisance but I got my kid graduated from high school and off to college somehow!



















How about an award for Best parent starring in a solo role, head of household, busting one's butt with no relief seven days a week, fifty-two weeks out of the year.

(Someone please nominate me!)

Truth be told, there is no celebration, reward, gift, grant, or significant other public acknowledgement of some of the most important work done in the world. The job of parenting is a reward unto itself but comes in the face of opposing forces, cultural distractions, and insufficient economic support.




Personally the joy of a job well done and the heart warming love and affection of my child ought to be enough. Yet I would not mind being awarded the Nobel Prize for Parenting (also known as the Nobel Prize for Peace). I think there is $1.5 million attached to that, right??





1 comment:

  1. How about the award for best parent surviving under fire and attack from media messages?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!